Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious little breads for a special dinner. Quite easy to make and can be made ahead up to the oven baking part. Once baked serve these straight away.
- 600 g plain flour (4 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 500 ml Greek yogurt
- 125 g mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 75 g feta cheese, finely crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Make the filling by combining all the filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Sift 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the yoghurt and stir until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Lighty flour a board or bench and knead the dough for 5 minutes, adding a little extra flour if the dough is sticky.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions.
- Cover with a damp tea towel so they don't dry out while you are working.
- Take one piece and, on a lighty floured surface, roll dough out to a 15cm round.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in the centre, then gather the sides and twist the top to seal edges together so the filling is encased in dough.
- Gently roll out again to a round shape, then place aside on a baking-paper lined tray and cover with another tea towel.
- Repeat until all of the breads are done.
- Heat a heavy based frypan over a medium heat and spray with oil spray.
- Cook breads in batches for 1 minute on each side.
- Then place breads in a single layer on 1 0r 2 large oven trays and cook at 220 degree C for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Serve immediately.
I would give this five stars but I didn't try it with the filling that's given because I got my hands on my suluguni cheese so i just grated it and used it. The dough was PERFECT. They came out very well and I make khachapuri with this dough instead of my old recipe (the classic one with borjomi water).