Chef #1365024's Note:
A great combo with soup or salad ... a perfect “side” with Italian food ... a hearty snack. Garlic Spinach Bread packs homemade flavor, along with a half-cup of a nutrient-rich, colorful array of veggies in every slice. Canned spinach and bell peppers, mixed in a savory bread filling, make each hearty slice into a rich source of vitamins A and C.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped spinach, no salt added, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup diced canned red bell pepper (pimentos)
- 12 large black olives, chopped (optional)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, peppers, olives, crushed pepper, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- 3Roll out pizza dough into a 12-inch round using just enough flour on the work surface and dough to keep it from sticking. Brush off excess flour and transfer dough to a baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the center and mound the spinach mixture on one side of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border of exposed dough at the edge. Brush the exposed edge with water, and fold the other side of the dough over top, stretching it so that it completely encases the filling. Firmly pinch the edges together sealing the filling inside. Cut 4 slits in the top and brush with remaining olive oil. Bake until crisp and brown, about 20 minutes; cool 10 minutes before serving. Cut in 6 wedges.
- 4Nutritional Information Per Serving(without olives): Calories 350; Total fat 10g; Saturated fat 1.5g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 780mg; Total carbohydrate 50g; Fiber 3g; Protein 12g; Vitamin A 40%DV*; Vitamin C 35%DV; Calcium 15%DV; Iron 20%DV.
- 5* Daily Value.
- 6Serving size: 1 slice (with 2.5 ounces bread plus filling).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Garlic Spinach Bread
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.5
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 119.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen pizza dough