Recipe by MARIA MAC *
I found this recipe tucked away in an old cookbook. Have no idea where it came from. Sure does sound good. Time does not include freezing time.
- 1⁄3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 6 large button mushrooms
- 1 cup bleached all purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cream cheese and dressing mix. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. When cheese has rested, use a teaspoon to fill mushroom caps.
- Combine flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour milk into another small bowl. Dip mushroom first in milk and then in flour. Do this twice. Put coated mushroom into the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- When mushrooms are frozen, heat oil in a deep fryer to 350ºF.
- Use enough oil to cover mushrooms completely. Fry for 8 to 10 minutes until golden. Drain. Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving. Yields 4 servings.