Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The recipe for this very tasty strata came from the Betty Crocker Holiday cookbooklet, Dec 2003. Preparation time does not include the 6 hours needed to set in refrigerator before baking!
FOR FRENCH TOAST
- 12 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- 1⁄2 cup neufchatel cheese spread with pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR ORANGE SYRUP
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- FOR FRENCH TOAST ~ Spray 13"x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toast 6 slices of the bread, then place in pan.
- Spread each slice of toast evenly with cream cheese & marmalade.
- Butter remaining bread slices, then place them butter-sides up on toast.
- In a medium bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs, milk & vanilla until blended, then pour over bread.
- Cover with aluminum foil & refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to proceed, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover & bake 35-45 minutes or untild eep golden brown & slightly puffed.
- Cut into slices, & place on individual serving plates.
- FOR ORANGE SYRUP ~ In small microwavable bowl, mix corn syrup & OJ concentrate.
- Microwave uncovered on high about 1 minute or until heated.
- Spoon over French toast & enjoy!
I made this for breakfast on New Years Day and we enjoyed it very much. The orange syrup is very tasty and the cream cheese filling is wonderful with the cinnamon raisin bread. Thank you Syd for posting this recipe! Made and reviewed as a pressie for the Australian/New Zealand Forum's 12 Days of Christmas recipe swap.
Couldn't find the cheese with pineapple so I just omitted it. This is sweet, very sweet. Good, too, but sweet! Made as a PRMR tag.