Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
The cream cheese filling has just enough fruit preserves and walnuts mixed in to give it a heavenly flavor. DO NOT substitute fat-free cream cheese for light cream cheese. HINT: Light cream cheese may be labeled "Neufchatel cheese."
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves or 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 loaf French bread, about 16-inch long
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the light cream cheese and fat-free cream cheese. Mix in the powdered sugar and preserves. Stir in the walnuts.
- TO MAKE THE FRENCH TOAST: Trim 1/2" off each end of the bread loaf and discard. Cut the loaf into ten 1 1/2"-thick slices. Cut a pocket in the top of each slice without cutting all the way through. Fill each pocket with about 1 1/2 T. of the filling.
- Coat a nonstick griddle or large skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, beat together the egg whites, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Using tongs, dip the bread in the egg mixture to coat completely (take care not to squeeze out the filling).
- Cook the bread in batches over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. (Using tongs, hold the crusts against the griddle for a few seconds to cook all sides.).