Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A dish most people only encounter when out to brunch, this recipe marries a creamy filling with a really crisp exterior. A rich cream cheese mixture holds the bread slices together. This delicious dish can be made with ingredients commonly found in your kitchen. Note: this recipe uses large sandwich bread slices, about 5x4 inches. If you use the smaller, standard-sized sandwich bread, you won't need all of the filling. From "The Best of America's Test Kitchen", posted for safe-keeping.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices high-quality sandwich bread
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- maple syrup, for serving
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Spread the mixture on 4 bread slices. Top with the remaining bread slices, pressing down gently to form 4 sandwiches.
- Combine the egg, water, flour, and vanilla in a shallow pie plate. Melt 2 T of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of 2 of the sandwiches in the batter and place in the skillet. Cook until deep golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat this process with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Cut the french toast into triangles and serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.