Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Crystal River Inn B&B, in San Marcos, Texas....divine!
- 1 loaf French bread (16 oz.)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I use light)
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups apricot preserves
- Spray griddle with cooking spray.
- Beat the cream cheese and pineapple together.
- Stir in the nuts, and set aside.
- Slice the bread into 1 1/2" slices.
- You should have at least 10 slices.
- Cut a pocket in the top of each slice.
- Fill each pocket with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture.
- Beat together the eggs, whipped cream, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Using tongs, dip the bread slices in the egg mixture, (being careful not to squeeze out the good stuff!) Cook on the griddle until both sides are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the preserves and orange juice in a small saucepan, over low heat.
- To serve, drizzle the apricot mixture over the hot french toast.
A true dining experience. I made some adjustments to make them lower in fat (without comprimising taste); i.e., whole wheat bread, light cream cheese, egg substitute. They were so pretty with the apricot sauce. I served them with a side of sizzled canadian bacon.