Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my husband's favorite french toast. Saved for special occasions only because it is very rich.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8 sliced cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, stir the cream cheese and powdered sugar until well mixed.
- Spread mixture evenly onto 4 slices of bread.
- Top with remaining bread slices to make sandwiches.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs using a whisk; whisk in the half-and-half, and sugar until well combined.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip sandwiches in the egg mixture, make sure you completely coat both sides (do a couple at a time or how ever many your skillet will hold) Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden (add more butter to the skillet as needed).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally and serve.
- Serve with maple syrup, or fresh fruit or topping of your choice.
Delicious French toast. I did not have cinnamon-raisin bread, so I used wheat bread and added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the cream cheese mixture. I'm not a huge fan of raisins so I ignored that ingredient. I served with maple syrup because if you're going to go this rich and decadent, you might as well go all the way.