Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
You can use any bread, jam, fruit, extract or nuts you prefer. Be careful the filling will be hot, so let it cool down and set up a bit.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
- 6 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (or more)
- 3 tablespoons jam (or more) or 3 tablespoons fresh sweet fruit, finely diced (or more)
- 2 tablespoons toasted diced nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, your choice) (optional)
- Blend batter ingredients and set in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Spread the mascarpone cheese on the inside of each slice, set 3 slices aside Spread the jam or fresh fruit on 3 slices of bread, leaving approx 1/4 inch space from the edges. Top with the remaining prepared bread slices.
- Dip the prepared slices into the batter, coat both sides.
- In a buttered skillet, lightly saute each side till golden.
- Remove filled toasts to a plate to cool a bit and set, filling will be hot.
- Serve with your favourite syrup.
This was a quick, easy and tasty recipe. I made it for my DH and 2 grandchildren this morning and they all really enjoyed it. I used cream cheese instead of mascarpone cheese and it worked very well. Thanks for posting this keeper, peachez. I'll use it again.
it was delicious and my mom loved it to, but i used sour cream instead