Recipe by peachez
You can use any bread, jam, fruit, extract or nuts you prefer. Be careful the filling will be hot, so let it cool down and set up a bit.
Top Review by cookin mimi
This was a quick, easy and tasty recipe. I made it for my DH and 2 grandchildren this morning and they all really enjoyed it. I used cream cheese instead of mascarpone cheese and it worked very well. Thanks for posting this keeper, peachez. I'll use it again.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
- 6 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (or more)
- 3 tablespoons jam (or more) or 3 tablespoons fresh sweet fruit, finely diced (or more)
- 2 tablespoons toasted diced nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, your choice) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend batter ingredients and set in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Spread the mascarpone cheese on the inside of each slice, set 3 slices aside Spread the jam or fresh fruit on 3 slices of bread, leaving approx 1/4 inch space from the edges. Top with the remaining prepared bread slices.
- Dip the prepared slices into the batter, coat both sides.
- In a buttered skillet, lightly saute each side till golden.
- Remove filled toasts to a plate to cool a bit and set, filling will be hot.
- Serve with your favourite syrup.