Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from The Cottage in La Jolla, California, and was published in the weekly circular of our local newspaper.
- 1 1⁄4 cups slice fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- 1⁄4 cup grated orange peel
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 pieces thick-sliced egg bread or 12 slices thick-sliced brioche bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 teaspoons mascarpone cheese or 12 teaspoons cream cheese
- Mix together the strawberries, 1/2 C sugar, 1 tsp brandy, and the orange peel. Let set 30 minutes.
- Beat 4 eggs. Add cream, brandy, brown sugar, and vanilla; beat well.
- Soak the bread in the egg/cream mixture.
- Melt the butter on a griddle over medium heat and cook each piece of bread for 4 minutes per side.
- As toast comes off the griddle, immediately spread 1 tsp mascarpone cheese and 2 tbsp strawberry mix in the middle and fold in half. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with maple syrup.