Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is delicious and perfect for a weekend brunch. It can easily be prepared in advance and refrigerated until serving time, just give each piece a little extra time to heat through in the frying pan.
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 loaf sweet French bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- In a small bowl beat together the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of the apricot jam, and the 1 teaspoon of vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in the pecans and set aside.
- Cut the bread into ten to twelve 1 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut a pocket in the top of each. Fill the pocket with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture.
- Combine the remaining apricot jam and orange juice in a small saucepan. Warm over low heat, whisking as jam melts so the mixture is a smooth syrup.
- Beat together eggs, whipping cream, cinnamon and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat, or use a griddle, if preferred. Using tongs, dip filled bread slices in the egg mixture, being careful not to squeeze out the filling. Cook in lightly greased pan for about 2 minutes per side or until lightly brown. Keep warm in a 300 degree oven while cooking remaining slices.
- To serve, drizzle warm syrup over the hot French toast.
- Tip: For lower fat, use 1 cup refrigerated egg product in place of whole eggs and 1% milk instead of whipping cream.
Back to review this one again, 'cause the 1st one didn't seem to take! Originally was going to make this for breakfast but it ended up being made around noon, & with a salad, it made a nice lunch! Toasted the nuts 'cause I like 'em that way, & enjoyed the combo of pecan, apricot & orange! Very nice, & a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]