SOURCE : THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS - BOOK TWO. We make this every Christmas and new years. The vegetarian options are my creation and not in the book. I have never timed how long this actually takes, so the times mentioned are estimates.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 ounces spicy bulk sausage
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, Finely Minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Vegetarian Options in place of sausage
- 2 veggie burgers, crumbled (I use Garden Burgers) (optional)
- 4 ounces mushroom pieces (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise and slightly hollow out each half, leaving a 1/2-inch thick layer of bread.
- Place crumbs in container of blender or food processor and process 15 to 20 seconds or until fine.
- Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in skillet over medium heat until meat is browned; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, meat mixture, egg, 1 tsp mustard, and parsley; set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, process the cheeses, olive oil, 2 tsps mustard, and pepper until mixture forms a paste, about 1 minute.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over the inside of each bread half.
- Spoon meat mixture into the cavity of each bread half.
- Place bread halves together.
- Wrap loaf in foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
- Cut into 1-inch thick slices.
- • For the vegetarian option:.
- Cook the Garden Burger, pecans and mushrooms with the onion and garlic.
- Follow the rest of the recipe from that point.