Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is not only easy, but really, really good. When I make it, I mix the filling the night before, then fill the loaves in the morning and bake.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 453.59 g breakfast sausage (your choice of flavour, I use sage)
- 8 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 236.59 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice loaf of bread in half lengthwise and hollow out. Place removed chunks in a large bowl.
- Brown sausage, bacon, onion, and bell peppers in a large skillet; drain.
- Mix sausage mixture with bread chunks, milk and cheeses.
- Fill hollowed out loaf halves with sausage and bread mixture.
- Wrap halves in aluminum foil, and bake for 30-45 minutes.
- Slice to serve.
great recipe! what a nice change for breakfast! i can't believe there aren't more reviews of this recipe! we really enjoyed it. i especially love anything that i can make ahead of time, breakfast items in particular. i just kept all my components separate until morning, then it was so easy to mix everything together, fill the bread and bake! i did add a few extra spices to the saute: garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and dash of italian seasoning. we also liked this because it's egg free, which is sometimes hard to find in the breakfast department! thanks, felix, this recipe is a winner!
This was so easy and so scrumptious! I left out the bacon to save salt and fat. I used the sage Bob Evans sausage. It was so lean that the vegetables practically steamed/sauteed rather than fried. I could easily see making this for visiting company. Just don't fill the bread halves until you're ready to eat. We also loved how unique it is (for us anyway). Neither of us had eaten anything like it before. Great recipe! Thanks!