Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup black olives
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins, moistened in red wine and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 heads escarole
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, olives, anchovies, 1/4 cup wine, 1/4 cup olive oil, cheese, pine nuts, raisins, parsley, and capers.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Discard any damaged outer leaves from the escarole, wash thoroughly between the leaves and shake dry.
- Take out the center leaves to make room for the stuffing, then stuff the escarole and tie closed with kitchen string.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat, add the garlic and escarole and fry, turning with tongs, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the escarole to a plate.
- Pour the remaining 1/4 cup wine and the chicken broth over the escarole.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the string and slice the escarole open to serve.
good. hard to handle the heads of escarole. i am going to try stuffing small bundles and using bread instead of bread crumbs like my grandmother did.