Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
From Contemporary and Traditional Tapas Dishes. Haven't tried this one yet but hope to soon. Posted for ZWT3
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, cooled, and shelled
- 4 1⁄2 ounces sardines, canned in olive oil and drained
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley sprig (to garnish)
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise and set aside the egg whites. Scoop out the yolks into a fine strainer and rub the yolks into a bowl.
- Mash the sardines with a fork; mix in the egg yolks. Add lemon juice and Tabasco. Add enough mayonnaise to made a past and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the egg whites mounding it slightly. Dip each egg half in the flour, then in the beaten egg, then in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil for deep-frying to 350-375°. Deep fry the egg halves for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper toweling and serve hot, garnished with parsley sprigs.
YUM! Being a sardine lover and keeping a huge supply in my pantry at all times, and always having boiled eggs in the fridge for snacks this recipe was right up my alley. I never would have thought of combining the two like this though. Great recipe and they're also quite pretty (and impressive) to look at too! Thanks for sharing the recipe Julie, I'll be making these a lot. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.