Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Eggplants are ideal for stuffing, this is a tasty filling meal. Serve with sauted potatoes and a salad.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 100 g smoked ham
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 300 ml milk
- 50 g grated cheese
- 2 teaspoons creamed horseradish
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Slice eggplants in half lengthways.
- Carefully scoop out flesh without breaking the skin.
- Cut flesh and ham into small cubes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in frying pan.
- Add eggplant shells and fry over a gentle heat until they begin to soften.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining oil to pan, saute the eggplant flesh for 5 minutes until lightly softened.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in sauce and cook ham for 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini to pan and saute for 1 minute.
- Remove zucchini and ham and add remaining butter to pan.
- When melted, stir in flour and milk and bring to boil, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
- Stir in three quarters of grated cheese, horseradish and seasoning.
- Prehat oven to 200C/400F.
- Mix together eggplant flesh, ham and zucchini and spoon mixture into the eggplant shells.
- Pour a little sauce over each then top with breadcrumbs mixed with remaining cheese and parsley.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until golden.