Recipe by kusum gupta
These eggplants make a fancy main dish. Garnish with sliced tomatoes & onions. You can tailor the spices to your liking.
- 2 lbs small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon green chili
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed, slightly roasted & ground
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, slightly roasted & ground
- 1 teaspoon coconut flakes, slightly roasted & ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the stem& rinse the eggplants.
- Make a slit lengthwise.
- On Med heat, saute garlic& onion in 1 tbs oil.
- While stirring, add remaining seasonings and also tamarind paste mixed with some warm water.
- It should be thick consistency that you can stuff in the eggplants.
- Fill the eggplants through the slit.
- Put the remaining oil in a wide skillet on low-med heat.
- Cook the eggplants in single layer, turning gently with a spatula, until cooked on all sides.
- Add little water as needed.
- Pour any leftover masala over the eggplants.