1/1 Photo of Stuffed Eggplant With Cheese and Tomatoes
1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
This reminds me a bit of eggplant parmesan, only much healthier. You could probably make this ahead and just save the baking part until you are ready to serve. I modified this recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine to give it more flavor. Among the things I added were the tomato sauce and extra cheese. I have listed them as optional ingredients, but I highly recommend it since it really adds so much to this dish. You can use whatever sauce you want (leftover spaghetti or pizza sauce would be good). I simply chopped up a few roma tomatoes and added a bit of red wine vinegar, garlic, and herbs, and cooked them all in a pan for a few minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled with stem intact
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes or 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- hot pasta sauce, homemade or jarred (optional)
- mozzarella cheese or feta or parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Place eggplant in a large pot filled with water; bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- 2Drain eggplant and allow to cool enough to be handled.
- 3Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet or pan with foil.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat; saute the tomatoes, garlic and onion until the onion is golden (about 5 minutes).
- 5Cut cooled eggplant in half lengthwise and remove the flesh.
- 6Chop up the flesh and add it to the pan with the onion-garlic-tomato mixture.
- 7Stir in the cheese, salt pepper, cinnamon, parsley, and oregano and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 8Remove mixture from heat; place eggplant shells on baking sheet and fill with this mixture.
- 9Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the eggplant starts to brown.
- 10Remove from the oven; top with hot tomato or pasta sauce and cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Eggplant With Cheese and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.6
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 389.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 6.8 g