Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
An easy meal from Hometown Cooking -- a great way to use garden vegetables.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Halve the egplant lengthwise. Hollow out the halves leaving 1/2 inch thick shells. Chop the eggplant pulp.
- In a medium skillet, cook mushrooms, onion, and eggplant pulp in hot oil for 5 minutes. Add tomato and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, and stir in cooked rice, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly grease a square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant halves, cut side up, in dish. Spoon half of filling into each eggplant half.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350º oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 10 to 15 minutes more until heated through and eggplant shells are tender.