Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is really a tasty dish. If you can't get eggplant, or your garden is full of zucchini that can also be used as a substitute for the eggplant. Both make an excellent side dish or light meal.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cold water
- flour, with mixture of
- Italian spices
- 2 eggs, beaten
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 dash if freshly fine ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- grated romano cheese or parmesan-romano cheese mix
- Wash the eggplants, remove the stems,peel and slice lengthwise.
- Soak the eggplants in the salt and enough water to cover the eggplant. Keep them immersed with a heavy plate for about 20 minute to 1/2 hours The longer the better. This takes out the bitterness.
- Preheat the olive oil, but be careful it is not too hot. Olive oil will splatter.
- Dry the eggplant with paper towels.
- Dredge the eggplant first into flour, then dip into the egg.
- Fry until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- In the middle of each place a slice of mozzarella, and a spoon of ricotta cheese.
- Roll up the eggplant and place seam side down in a greased shallow baking dish.
- Top with marinara sauce.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 20-30 minute.
- Garnish with grated cheese and some fnely chopped parsley.
This was really good. I added chopped prosciutto to the filling. I also cheated a litlle, and didn't make "rolls". I made sandwiches, layering one piece of eggplant, the filling, and then eggplant on top. I put a little marinara in bottom of a casserole dish, then the sandwiches, and more marinara on top. Very good.
Hi Glitter, I made this for dinner lst night, OMG...these were to die for, I am only sorry that I didn't make more, these were devoured very quick. My family and myself are big fans of eggplant and Mediterranean style dishes, this one is a winner, I made exactly as directed, I soaked them for half an hour in salt, and I covered them with my homemade pasta sauce...oh, these were absolutely delicious!...I am rating them much higher than 5 stars...if anyone out there is an eggplant lover, then this is a must-try recipe. Thanks so much for posting Glitter...Kitten :)