Recipe by Sana
This is stuffed eggplant made in Maharashtrian ( a state in western India) style. I had if first at my in-laws and then got a recipe online which I tweaked to our taste It is a lengthy process, but well worth it. Adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- 4 small round eggplants
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the stuffing
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 3⁄4 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a paste of all the ingredients for the stuffing.
- Slit the eggplants from the middle into quarters such that they do not separate.
- Stuff them with the paste.
- Finely chop the onion and fry it in the oil.
- Add the remaining stuffing ( if any ) to the oil.
- Add the stuffed eggplants and add water to just to cover the top of the brinjals.
- Cover and cook for about 15 mins or till the brinjals are soft.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the eggplants.