Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great eggplant recipe
Make and share this Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 round eggplants or 4 Japanese eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground lamb (or 1/2 lamb and 1/2 ground round)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese or feta cheese
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise and scoop out most of the fleshy pulp and set aside.
- Salt the shells and set aside to make them sweat.
- Rinse off salt, gently squeeze and dry.
- Fry the shells in a tablespoon of olive oil until browned, and drain on paper towels.
- In a tablespoon of olive oil, brown off meat, add chopped onion and peppers.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and the diced up eggplant pulp.
- Mix the ingredients together and fill the eggplant shells.
- Spread 1/2 of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a covered baking dish and place the filled eggplant shells on the sauce.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top of the stuffed shells.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the shells and sprinkle with parmesan or feta cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for and hour.
My DH, a very picky eater, LOVED this recipe! I left out the mint and green peppers, and used 1/2 tea dried basil instead of fresh. I also used 3 cloves garlic. It has an intense "lamb" smell, and if you aren't a fan of lamb and eggplant, skip this one.