Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious stuffed eggplant.
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (8 oz)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- Heat oven to 350.
- In 10-inch skillet cook sausage over medium heat, until browned; drain off fat and set aside.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Remove and cube pulp, leaving 1/4-inch shell.
- In skillet heat oil; add eggplant pulp, mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until tender (5 minutes).
- In seperate bowl combine cooked vegetables, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant shells in 13x9 baking pan. Spoon mixture into shells and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until fork tender.
This was my first attempt at stuffed eggplant. It was harder than I thought to scoop out the flesh. I found a serrated grapefruit spoon worked the best. I used gypsy peppers and pine mushrooms (just came back from the farmer's market!). I also used thyme instead of basil. This is a very rich dish, so I served it with lots of plain steamed veggies. Next time, I will put the mozzarella on towards the end of cooking time so it stays soft and melty. Very good recipe!