Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
1 single 3/4-to-1-pound fruit could also be used. rom "Diabetic Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1/4 bread, 1 3/4 vegetable, 3/4 fat.
- 2 small eggplants (about 6-7 oz. each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped portabella mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (grated is easier)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper (or less, to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell; chop the scooped flesh. Place the shells on a baking pan and bake 15 minutes.
- While shells bake, prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped eggplant,mushroom, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into the eggplant shells, then return them to the oven. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is heated through.