Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This has a slight Asian influence as opposed to the usual Italian influence of most stuffed eggplant. Vegetarian and very tasty.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 2⁄3 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the insides. Set aside the hollowed halves and chop the scooped eggplant.
- In a frying pan heat the oil and saute the onion and eggplant until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, rice, soy sauce, Worcestershire and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Fill the eggplant halves with the mixture and top with the cheese.
- Place in a baking pan and bake at 375°F for 15-25 minutes.