Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I clipped this recipe from a magazine almost thirty years ago and have made it many times for Christmas parties and gatherings. It's a spreadable step away from the ordinary cheese platter. Serve with your favorite crackers, melba rounds, or pretzel dippers. I also like it because it can be prepared in advance of when you will be serving it.
- 1 (2 lb) whole edam cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry or 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- Remove a 2 to 3 inch wide horizontal slice from top of cheese.
- Scoop out the cheese, leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell.
- With a sharp knife, cut a sawtooth pattern around the edge of the shell.
- Shred the cheese.
- With an electric mixer, blend shredded cheese with the remaining ingredients.Mixture will be lumpy.
- Spoon cheese mixture into shell, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until about 2 hours before serving.
- May be prepared in advance to this point up to three days.