Prep 48 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is featured in the book "The Foods of the Greek Islands".
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 lb dried calimyrna fig
- Wash figs and allow to dry out for 2 days at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Make a slash in the bottom of each fig and fill them with the walnut mixture, then press them closed.
- Place the figs cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.