Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A not so sweet chocolate cupcake with a sweet cream cheese filling. We have made this per the recipe and made numerous tweaks (lemon cupcake- adding a little strawberry preserves to the filling). We have also made this with Hershey's Dark cocoa which made the cupcakes a bit more rich. For those not wanting to cook with butter, margarine is fine. This was originally given as a 'child-friendly' recipe and has never failed to delight.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line muffin pan with 12 baking cups.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sugar, nuts and 1/2 tsp vanilla until well blended (set aside).
- In a small bowl, mix flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in egg and 1/2 tsp into the butter/sugar bowl.
- Stir in about 1/2 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Slowly stir in milk until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining flour and mix until smooth.
- Spoon about 1 Tbs of batter into each baking cup. Add about 1 tsp of the cream cheese/nut mixture. Finish filling with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes - Cool on rack.