I have been making these for years. Another fast, easy and tasty pupu. The "stuffing" really does need to sit and marinate for a while so make it the morning of or no more then 12 hours before serving. Otherwise it becomes a runny mess. The website did not recognize the words Japan or seedless - but I usually use the longer slim Japanese or seedless variety.
- Cut about 2+1/2 inches off each end of cucumber (assuming you are using the Japan or seedless, since they are typically rather long).
- Grate the ends using a hand grater & place into a fine mesh strainer.
- Cut the cucumbers in half, then again lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds so you have four boats & run the bottom side of boat across a grater. This creates a flat bottom so the boat doesn't rock. Save the shavings & rough chop into the grated cuc ends from above.
- The longer you let the cucumber strain, the drier the stuffing will be, I usually wait about 30 minutes.
- Remove grated cuc from the strainer, add to bowl.
- Add 2oz feta, white pepper and dill weed. Stir gently.
- Chill at least a couple hours but no longer than 12 hours.
- Wipe the boats dry (makes the stuffing easier) and place stuffing inside.
- Garnish: black lava sea salt & dots of sriracha mixed with mayo.
- You can also slice into smaller bite sized "U's" if you refrigerate after stuffing to re-firm the feta/cuc mixture.
- Prep time does not include refrigerator marinade time.