Recipe by bobswagman
Top Review by estprice
Tried this last night and my husband, who doesn't really like sausage, had 3!! Really loved adding my fresh basil to this, and the cheese was a great touch. I did drain my sausage before I added the garlic. I also did not have minute rice, so I waited till I had cooked the liquids down and then stirred in cooked rice. Keeping this one!
- 4 cubanelle peppers, topped and seeded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed and minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup of pre cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saute pan, cook onions and sausage on high heat for about 5 minutes, until meat is browned and onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for about 40 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beef stock, and fresh basil. Stir together until basil is wilted.
- Place mixture into a large bowl with rice, hot sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly add stuffing to peppers, leaving leftover stuffing in fridge for later on in the week. In olive oil in another big saute pan on medium-high heat, cook peppers until they soften and begin to slightly char. (You could also bake these as well.)
- Serve hot.