Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
When crabs are in season this is a real favorite for Sunday dinner on the porch. Under the ceiling fan, a little breeze blowing, everyone's relaxed, sipping on a chilled Chardonnay. Yes, life is good!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs crabmeat
- buttered panko breadcrumbs
- In a Dutch oven melt ¾ cup of the butter.
- Add the bell pepper, green onions, and onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Continue cooking on low heat until the onions are soft.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup butter and celery and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Break the French bread into small pieces and soak in the milk until the bread is saturated and squeeze it.
- Add the bread to the seasoning mixture and mix well.
- Return to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, cayenne, and crab mixture in individual crab shells or ramekins.
- Top with the buttered panko, a sprinkle of paprika, and a dot of butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.