Recipe by Irishcolleen
This is my mother's recipe with a few variations from me. You will never get stuffed crabs like this in a restaurant. Most restaurants add so much breading that it covers up the taste of the crab meat. I hope you will enjoy! :)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb peeled and cooked small shrimp
- 2 lbs blue point louisiana crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup shrimp stock
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 12 cleaned crab shells
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, melt butter.
- Add onion, green and red bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Saute over medium high heat until onions are transparent.
- Put cooked shrimp into food processor. Pulse until shrimp are coarsely ground.
- Add shrimp and crab meat to onion mixture. Cook for 2 minutes on low heat.
- In separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup bread crumbs with shrimp stock. Combine with shrimp and crab meat mixture.
- Add beaten egg, salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Stuff into crab shells. Top each stuffed shell with remaining bread crumbs.
- Top each crab with a pat of butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Bon Appetite! :).