Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Another traditional Creole recipe, this is perfect for that special dinner or whenever you have access to fresh crabmeat.If the crab is whole, save the upper shells to bake the stuffed crab in. Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit that featured an article on "Creole Cooking at the Source".
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 hard-cooked egg, mashed
- 2 cups cooked crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Remove from heat and add egg,crab,half and half,parsley, garlic, salt, pepper,pepper sauce,and half the breadcrumbs.
- Return to heat and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Sherry;adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Stuff into 4 crab shells (or divide among 4 ramekins).
- Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and lemon juice; top each with a pat of butter.
- Bake until tops are golden brown, 5 to 12 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.