Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great recipe for a casual brunch served with a tossed green salad. Can be made 3 hours ahead and kept in the refrigerator.
- 1 eggplant, sliced (300g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 150 g sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500 g ground lamb
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 loaf cottage loaf bread (25cm Round)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (100g)
- 125 g black olives, halved
- 50 g chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh basil, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- Brush eggplant with oil and grill both sides of eggplant until lightly browned.
- Heat extra oil in a pan, add onion, garlic and mushrooms; cook 2 minutes.
- Add mince and cayenne and stir over heat until mince is browned.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and sugar; bring to boil and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until liquid is evaporated and mixture is thick.
- Slice top from loaf of bread, hollow out base of loaf leaving a 2cm shell.
- Press mince mixture into base of loaf, top with mozzarella cheese, olives, sun-dried tomatoes basil and eggplant.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and top with ricotta cheese. Replace top of loaf.
- Wrap loaf firmly in aluminum foil; place on an oven tray and bake in a moderate oven (180d) for about 45 minutes until heated through.