Recipe by Judith N.
This recipe was e-mailed to me by a friend. I made it this year for Christmas Eve dinner with great raves and success so I wanted to share it with you.
Top Review by WYO Baker
I love Cornish game hens because they are easy but look so classy! This recipe was awesome. I did use more honey in my glaze and was in a hurry so I just used a box stuffing and added a handful of Craisins. Delish!
- 2 1⁄4 cups cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Game Hens and Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 1⁄3 cup minced celery
- 1⁄3 cup cranberries, rinsed and drained,coarsely chopped
- 2 cups French bread cubes, 1/2 " thick
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 4 Cornish hens, giblets removed,thawed,rinsed and dried
- kitchen string
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the glaze: Combine cranberries and wine in saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey and continue to simmer 2 minutes.
- Strain glaze, stir in oil and set aside.
- Prepare the game hens and stuffing: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add onion, celery and cranberries.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add sauteed mixture to the French bread cubes.
- Let cool.
- Stir in chicken broth, parsley, sage, thyme, 1/4 Tsp.
- salt and 1/8 Tsp.
- Stuff game hens with the stuffing and tie drumsticks together with kitchen string.
- Place hens in a roasting pan.
- Brush some of glaze over each game hen and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Place in a preheated 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue roasting for 45 minutes longer.
- Baste hens with glaze and sprinkle with salt and pepper (salt& pepper is optional, I didn't do it) twice more during the cooking time.
- Remove hens from oven and let rest 5 minutes.
- Cut strings and serve.