Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Simple but elegant dish featuring games hens with a wild rice stuffing. Perfect romantic dinner for you and a special someone!
- Heat oven to 400.
- Season hens inside and out with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- In a small pan, sautee almonds, onions and rice in butter for 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add water, boullion, lemon and salt. Bring to a boil to dissolve boullion. Reduce heat, cover and simmer slowly for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- Lightly stuff birds with stuffing.
- Place breast side up in a shallow baking pan. Brush with melted butter and roast uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes.
- Cover and roast an additional hour or until drumstick can be twisted easily in socket.
- Brush with butter during last 15 minutes.
- Serve with white wine.
This is really tasty. I used a brown rice/wild rice blend so had to cook the rice longer. I had extra rice so baked it in a small casserole the last 1/2 hour with the hens. Would be good with pecans in stead of almonds, also, and instead of mushrooms, maybe some dried cranberries. Made for My 3 Chefs game.