Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite meal. It is cornbread made with breakfast sausage and cheddar cheese in the middle. I make this in a 10-inch iron skillet, but it can be made in a regular cake pan.
- 1 lb roll breakfast sausage (your favorite)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups of buttermilk self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (may use fat-free)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Grease a 10-inch iron skillet and set aside.
- In another skillet, scramble and fry sausage and onion together till sausage is browned (drain grease).
- In a large bowl, combine well the eggs, cornmeal mix, corn, sour cream, milk and oil.
- Using greased iron skillet, pour half of the cornmeal mixture into the skillet and then sprinkle the sausage mixture over the cornmeal batter. Sprinkle the cheese over the sausage. Then pour the remaining half of the cornmeal mixture over all that.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 425°. Let stand 10 minutes and enjoy.