Recipe by Darlene Summers
This is my favorite meal. It is cornbread made with breakfast sausage and cheddar cheese in the middle. I make this in a 10-inch iron skillet, but it can be made in a regular cake pan.
Top Review by EliteK9A
This was great! My hubby is hard to please and really liked it. The second day left-overs he said were dry so I put butter on top and he said they were back to being delicious. I followed the recipe exactly the SECOND time. As I am a senior and possibly senile , the first time I made it, I mistakenly used regular flour instead of the exact cornbread flour the recipe called for. I had purchased the exact type the recipe called for but apparently grabbed the wrong bag the first time I made it. My hubby liked it that way also but did say when I made it the correct way with the cornbread flour that it was even better. Thank you Darlene Summers for sharing this recipe.
- 1 lb roll breakfast sausage (your favorite)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups of buttermilk self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (may use fat-free)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Grease a 10-inch iron skillet and set aside.
- In another skillet, scramble and fry sausage and onion together till sausage is browned (drain grease).
- In a large bowl, combine well the eggs, cornmeal mix, corn, sour cream, milk and oil.
- Using greased iron skillet, pour half of the cornmeal mixture into the skillet and then sprinkle the sausage mixture over the cornmeal batter. Sprinkle the cheese over the sausage. Then pour the remaining half of the cornmeal mixture over all that.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 425°. Let stand 10 minutes and enjoy.