Recipe by mollypaul
From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 24 littleneck clams
- 3 mushrooms, finely minced
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- salt and pepper
- rock salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a layer of rock salt in the bottom of your baking pan to nestle the clams securely and to prevent the juice from running out when the clams open.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the clams well and place in prepared pan.
- Place in the oven until the clams begin to open.
- Take out of the oven, remove from the shells, reserving the juice.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350°F.
- Chop the clam meat well and combine with the clam juice, mushrooms, bacon, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add enough bread crumbs to thicken, so that the mixture will hold its shape in the shells.
- Mix thoroughly and fill the clam shells.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and place a small piece of butter on each stuffed shell.
- Bake until brown on top, about 12 minutes.