Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
These cupcakes are light, fluffy, refreshingly cool and have just the right amount of chocolate. This recipe uses a cake mix, prepared chocolate frosting and chocolate Cool Whip, but no one needs to know you took a few short-cuts. These little cuties are stuffed and frosted with a smooth combination of chocolate frosting and Cool Whip, resulting in a light chocolate frosting that doesn't taste cloyingly sweet or store-bought. Garnish with a fresh strawberry or raspberry and a few mint leaves to add a touch of elegance. I truly hope you enjoy these little chocolate goodies. My 3-year-old daughter and I certainly do!
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix (Pillsbury Moist Supreme Chocolate)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chocolate frosting (Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Chocolate Fudge)
- 1 (8 ounce) container chocolate Cool Whip (Cool Whip Season's Delight Chocolate)
- 1 quart strawberry, fanned (optional garnish)
- 1 pint raspberries (optional garnish)
- fresh mint leaves (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cake mix, water, oil and eggs. Beat until well combined.
- Using a regular-sized muffin pan (12 cups), place cupcake liners in each cup. Spoon batter neatly into each liner until 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, make the frosting. In a medium mixing bowl, place frosting and Cool Whip. Beat at medium-high speed until smooth and completely incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to frost cupcakes.
- With a apple corer or small serrated knife (or tool of your preference), gently hollow out the center of each cupcake (make a 1-inch diameter hole in each). Spoon or pipe frosting into the holes. Then frost the tops of each cupcake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.