1/1 Photo of Stuffed Chiles With Walnut Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
What a different and delicious dish! This may be assembled a day ahead and refrigerated separately. About 30 minutes before dinner, preheat oven to 350*, remove both from fridge. Bake the chiles, and serve warm with sauce. Adapted from Vegetarian Times. This recipe has it's roots in Africa, Mexico and Spain!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large poblano peppers (or aneheim for less heat)
- 29.58 ml oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (abut 1 1/2 cups)
- 907.18 g assorted mushrooms, coarsely chopped (your choice)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, stemmed and chopped
- 566.99 g can tomato puree
- 236.59 ml toasted pecans, chopped
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 118.29 ml dried mango, chopped (or papaya, pineapple, craisins)
- 44.37 ml dried oregano
- 9.85 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 473.18 ml sour cream
- 236.59 ml chopped walnuts
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 fresh pomegranate, seeded (about 1/2 cup seeds)
- 1To make Stuffed Chiles:.
- 2Preheat oven to broil. Place chiles on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until blackened. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a damp towel and cool.
- 3Heat the veg. oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until mushrooms are brown and crispy.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 5Peel chiles, then cut slits down sides, and remove the seeds and veins. Fill with mushroom mixture and set in a large baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- 6To make Walnut Sauce:.
- 7Put all ingredients in blender or food processor, and pulse until combined but still chunky.
- 8To serve:.
- 9Preheat oven to 350*F. Heat chiles in their foil covered dish 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to serving platter, top with Walnut Sauce and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Chiles With Walnut Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2967 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 62.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: