Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was taught in a cooking class by Sonia Novelo, a Chilean woman, in Shanghai.
Make and share this Stuffed Chiles With Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Roast and peel chiles.
- Cut off tops, de-seed, and split them open.
- Cut cheese into planks and stuff into chiles (not too much – they will melt and spread).
- Place stuffed chiles in a bowl seam side down.
- For sauce –.
- Put a little olive oil in a sauce pan with the onions and fry until fragrant and soft.
- Add tomato paste and chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour over top of chiles.
- Drizzle cream on top now - optional (I don’t do this).
- put into oven at 350° F for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted.
uh oh. they are gone & everybody is wondering why I didn't make more. This has a lot of sauce for 6 little peppers. I roasted my chiles on the gas stovetop. They are MILD. If you like a little heat, try poblanos. I couldn't find gouda so I used monterey jack. I wish I had used pepperjack. I did use the cream on top & liked it very much. It just added a bit of richness. I also tried not to cut a slit down the side - I cut off the tops & dug out the seeds with my fingers with 90% success rate. ;) I used a toothpick to hold together the 1 that split open so the cheese wouldn't spill out everywhere. DELICIOUS. And like any good appetizer, made me hungrier. I am thinking about grilling the peppers next time. I peeled them fairly easily under running water then dried them with paper towels. YUM! Made for PAC Spring '12.