Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
The inspiration for this recipe came from a recipe I found in Bon Appetit. I changed many of the ingredients because I wanted to use ingredients I actually had on hand so I wouldn't have to make a trip to the grocery! The DH and I enjoyed the results.
Top Review by Skypoodle
I prepared this recipe for PAC Fall '06 and it knocked my socks off! There were so many wonderful flavors going on: the wine, the onions, the sausage, the herbs. I wouldn't add tomato paste, but tiny fresh button mushrooms might be nice. I was not able to thicken it much by reducing, and I might add some cornstarch to thicken a bit so that the sauce can cling to the noodles. *****OUTSTANDING!!*****
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed, meat crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup Stove Top stuffing mix, can use regular bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices jalapeno-flavored bacon (that's what I had on hand)
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 (750 ml) bottle chianti wine (dry red wine)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (homemade)
- 14 ounces Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 lb egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Lay 1 chicken thigh on work surface.
- Fill the area that the bone was removed with a generous 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mix.
- Wrap the thigh around the stuffing and tie with kitchen string to hold it together.
- Repeat with remaining thighs and stuffing.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon; sauté until light brown and fat is rendered, about 5 minutes.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Add chicken to drippings in skillet; cook until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the skillet.
- Add wine; boil until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 12 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, basil and chicken thighs; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Simmer sauce in skillet until slightly thickened and reduced to 4 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile , cook egg noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain.
- Transfer noodles to a large platter and top with chicken and sauce and serve.