Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe courtesy of Sara Moulton, editor of Gourmet Magazine. One of the best marsala recipes I have tasted.
- Cut pockets into chicken breasts.
- Season pockets with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stuff each breast with a slice of prosciutto and a piece of Fontina.
- Dip chicken breasts in flour.
- Heat skillet.
- Add oil to skillet and saute chicken breasts until brown on both sides.
- Remove browned chicken from skillet.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and saute on high heat until browned.
- Mushroom liquid will start to deglaze the pan.
- Add marsala to skillet and reduce by half, about 5-minutes.
- Add chicken stock to skillet and put chicken back into the pan.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter.
- Thicken sauce by making a buerre manie with butter and flour, and whisking it until sauce thickens.
Impressive and not difficult. Used gorgonzola because I had it on hand and scaled down recipe for two. Served over mashed potatoes and it was very tasty. A little salty, next time I will use low sodium chicken broth. Sauce thickened wonderfully with the butter/flour dough. Will definitely make again.