Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From FREEZE IT in "Everyday Food". An elegant recipe for supper from the freezer. Use 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, if desired.
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 16 chicken cutlets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce (optional)
- Combine feta, peppers, scallions, oregano, and basil in a medium bowl.
- Place cutlets on a flat surface, smooth side down. Spoon about 2 tbsp of feta mixture into the center of each cutler and the fold short sides in and then long sides creating a packet. Arrange packets, seam side down on a wax paper lined baking sheet making sure they do not touch each other. Freeze until firm-about an hour. Place into a ziploc bag, label and date. These can be frozen up to 8 weeks.
- To serve: preheat oven to 400°F
- Lightly grease two baking sheets and place frozen cutlets, seam side down. lightly season with salt and pepper and bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. If desired, top with warmed tomato sauce.
These were pretty good - I used pounded chicken breasts and just rolled them around a glob of the mixture which worked well. I used fresh basil which really tasted great in there (about 1 Tbsp). Be sure you like feta though, the taste is very strong, but yummy if you like it!
Chicken was okay. My family did not care for the stuffing inside the chicken. Spices were a bit strong.
Really good meal. I will wrap the chicken with bacon next time though.