Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
chicken with a little surprize inside, a wonderful blend of flavors to delight you taste buds
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb bulk ground sausage (jimmy dean or other brand)
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package colby
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 4 cloves garlic, finely mined
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (12 ounce) bag penne pasta
- pound chicken into uniform thin rectangles with a meat mallet.
- Divide uncooked sausage into 6 equal pieces.
- Cut 6 1/2" thick sticks from the cheese.
- set aside.
- Wrap sausage around each cheese stick to enclose completely.
- Place each sausage bundle on each chicken breast roll up and secure with tooth picks.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in lg skillet or dutch oven over med high heat.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides about 5-7 min.
- Remove chicken; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in the same skillet.
- Add bell pepper,onion, garlic, cumin and ginger;cook and stir until onions are translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce then the vinegar.
- cook for about 5 minutes then add chicken bundles, cook covered 30-40 minutes or until flavors blend.
- to serve cook penne pasta and drain.
- pour half the sauce over the pasta place chicken on platter with pasta then spoon remaining sauce over the chicken.
My favorite part of this dish is the sauce. The second best part is the burst of flavor from the sausage when you cut into the chicken. The cumin and ginger transform what would be an ordinary Italian style pasta sauce into an addiction. The cheese adds little flavor and could be left out. The recipe steps leave out the addition of the tomato sauce and cumin. Bravo Chef for a delicious and unique dish.