Recipe by Amber Dawn
7 points. The secret ingredient in this recipe is the Marsala wine because if the deep smoky flavor it adds to the sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, minced
- 1 cup fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half (4 breasts)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1 ounce white sauce mix (1/2 of a 1.8 oz package such as Knorr)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook 6 minutes. Add spinach and parsley; cook 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in bread crumbs, egg white, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Insert a clean, sharp knife into the thickest side of each chicken breast. Make a 2 inch slit. Cut to, but not through the opposite side. Holding the knife blade parallel to the cutting board, guide the blade around the inside, creating a pocket. Be careful not to cut through the sides.
- Divide the mushroom mixture between the 4 breasts. Stuff into the pockets.
- Wipe the pan clean with paper towels. Heat 2 tsp oil in pan over medium heat; add chicken. Cook 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 13 minutes or until done at 400°F.
- Add wine to pan; cook 2 minutes over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen bits.
- Whisk together cream sauce mix, broth, and milk; add to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice.
- Spoon sauce onto serving plates; arrange chicken over sauce.
- Yields 4 servings: 1 breast and about 1/4 cup sauce).