Recipe by lik2fish
Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Broiled Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella
Top Review by itsmejanmaza
Absolutely wonderful!! Looks beautiful on presentation. I omitted the thyme and the flour completely and used whole wheat Ritz cracker crumbs instead of the bread crumbs. I also used balsamic vinegar dressing instead of the vinegar itself. Took longer to make then the estimated time but well worth it!!
- 16 medium asparagus spears, trimmed to 5-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (5 to 6 ounces each)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- For Filling: Heat broiler. Toss asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; spread in single layer on pan and broil 4 inches from top heating element until tender and browned, 6 to 8 minutes, shaking pan to rotate spears halfway through cooking time. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar; set aside.
- Heat unsalted butter in medium skillet over low heat until melted; add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally,15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook about 30 seconds longer; set aside.
- In medium bowl using hand mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed about 1 minute.
- Stir in onion mixture, thyme, and Mozzarella; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For Chicken: Place each chicken breast on large sheet of plastic wrap, cover with second sheet of plastic wrap, and pound with meat pounder or rolling pin until 1/4-inch thick throughout. Each pounded breast should measure roughly 6 inches wide and 8-1/2 inches long.
- Place breasts skinned side down on work surface; season with salt and pepper.
- Fill, placing asparagus spears horizontally on top of cheese, spacing them about 1 inch apart, and trimming off ends if necessary.
- Roll and wrap each breast.
- Refrigerate until filling is firm, at least 45 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread flour in pie plate or shallow baking dish.
- Beat eggs with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon water in second pie plate or shallow baking dish.
- Spread bread crumbs in third pie plate or shallow baking dish.
- Unwrap chicken breasts and roll in flour; shake off excess.
- Using tongs, roll breasts in egg mixture; let excess drip off.
- Transfer to bread crumbs; shake pan to roll breasts in crumbs, then press with fingers to help crumbs adhere.
- Place breaded chicken breasts on large wire rack set over jelly-roll pan.
- Heat remaining 3/4 cup oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat about 4 minutes; add chicken, seam side down, and cook until medium golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Turn each roll and cook until medium golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Return chicken rolls, seam side down, to wire rack set over jelly-roll pan; bake until deep golden brown about 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing each roll crosswise diagonally into 5 medallions; arrange on individual dinner plates and serve.