Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the fabulous "Junior League Centennial Cookbook", originally published in the Charleston, WV Junior League book "Mountain Measures-A Second Serving". I haven't actually tried it yet but plan to very soon.
- 4 whole chicken breasts, boned but with skin left on
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, washed,dried and chopped
- 1⁄2 ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the chicken in one layer.
- Place the breasts on a work surface, skin side up.
- Starting at the top, gently pull the skin away from the meat to form a pocket, leaving the sides still attached.
- Combine the spinach, cheeses, and seasonings.
- Divide into 4 portions.
- Place 1 portion of filling under the skin of each breast.
- Smooth the skin over the filling, tucking the ends under.
- Rub each breast with butter and place in the buttered baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve sliced, hot or cold.
this was absolutley beautiful instead of adding the spinach i added some oven dried cherry tomatoes my family loves this!It is very filling and delicious the next day!! Thank you so much