Recipe by Paella Pete
Succulent chicken breast stuffed with apple and leek infused sausage meat baked in a parcel of deep flavoured and slightly savoury crispy Parma ham. Delicious served with new potatoes, melted butter and steamed broccoli.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 200 g parma ham, sliced
- 4 links pork sausage, good quality with meat content not less than 80%
- 400 g peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 apple
- 1 leek
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- olive oil
- brown sugar
- red wine vinegar
- smoked paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Create a marinade for the chicken using some brown sugar, red wine vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Score the chicken deep along its length but don't cut all the way through. Make some additional shallow cuts over the chicken to help absorb the marinade.
- Place the chicken in the marinade and ensure to work it into the cuts. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Whilst the chicken is gathering flavour in the marinade prepare the stuffing. Remove the skins from the sausages and discard.
- Peel, core, and chop the apple. Slice and finely chop a couple of inches of the leek. Add the dried herbs and mix well into the sausage meat, wrap in clingfilm and place in the refrigerator.
- After an hour, rip the plum tomatoes and place a few good size pieces into the deep cut you made in the chicken breasts followed by the sausage meat.
- Pour a tablespoon of water over the stuffing. Now sprinkle the chicken with a good pinch of paprika.
- Wrap the chicken with the parma ham. Take four pieces of foil and wrap each breast loosely (we don’t want the foil to stick to the ham). Before sealing the foil add a tablespoon of water to help keep the meat moist whilst cooking.
- Place in a pre warmed over at 180c.
- After about 30 minutes open one of the foil parcels and check that the chicken is cooked. It may need a little a more time.
- When the chicken is cooked open the foil and return to the oven for 4 or 5 more minutes to dry the parma ham a little. The ham should be dry and slightly crisp in places.
- Carefully remove form the foil, server and enjoy.